Friday 29 June 2012

My Last Post Before Our Holiday

Here's a little 'something' I at long last finished the other day! A crochet kitten! I used a free pattern from Beth Webber.

Why did I make it? Well ..... my son left home to set up in a flat with his girlfriend in January, but he sorely misses our cats! Although they did entertain the idea of possibly having a cat in their flat, I think they have (thankfully!) decided that a flat is not really the right place for a cat. It wouldn't really be fair. So ..... I thought I'd crochet them one!

I was aiming to make him to look like Minstrel but, as a very novice crocheter, I couldn't quite work out how to do the white on the body to make the 'tuxedo' bib under the chin. I must actually say that I found the pattern a bit of a challenge and I'm sure I went wrong a couple of times.


I also haven't quite got the ears right ...... but try as I might, I couldn't make it appear more like the examples in the pattern. Also, for ages I pondered how I could give it whiskers as the pattern doesn't have any whiskers ...... and no whiskers just didn't seem right!!

For several weeks he wasn't finished whilst I wondered what to do! Then John had a good idea! We have a swift tag gun that shops use to attach labels to things. What if we put several tags into the whisker area and then cut off the square end of the tag? We tried it ...... and they make pretty effective whiskers. So ..... yesterday off he went to be an 'indoor cat' for James and Liz :)

Finally ...... we're off on holiday to Devon tomorrow! I have a horrible feeling that they are having even wetter weather than we are ..... but never mind! I always take a craft activity with me and I shall be taking my cross-stitch tiger. I know I haven't blogged about him for ages but I have been steadily doing a little bit most weeks even though I've been doing lots of other projects in between.

Here is how he looked the last time I blogged about him back in October last year (believe it or not!) .....

And here he is now ......


Let's see how he looks by the time we come back :)

3 comments:

joy said...

Hope you have a peaceful and relaxing break in Devon,
Joy x x

Kandi said...

Ohh enjoy your break, He is adorable! I will show him in my post today, again if you are happy for me to borrow a photo x

Mrs A. said...

His whiskers have worked a treat. He looks a very handsome cat. Enjoy your holiday in Devon.
Thankyou for your comment on my blog about the paper roses. I found a couple of tutorials on making roses and really just experimented with different weights of paper and made several proto types changing things as I went along. Had a photo of a rose from my dad's garden to work from which helped with the shaping of the petals. Hugs Mrs A.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...