Saturday, 24 December 2011
I finished Minstrel first. For both of them, I used a design I found here. I searched everywhere for a simple, cartoon like design, aware that when cutting felt the design needs to be simple shapes. As a reminder, here's what Minstrel looks like .....
All in all, I'm very pleased with how they have turned out and they were well worth the effort of making them.
Finally, when I last posted about the tree decorations I was making, I showed am image of a pink one that was in the process of being made. Here's that pink one as a finished decoration.
Thursday, 15 December 2011
With this one, the central ribbon band is using some lovely ribbon that was very reasonably priced in Lidl.
Along the top and bottom edge, I have sewn small golden beads. The curvy loops are chain stitch with small pearl beads sewn in each loop.
This one is destined to go to my brother and his wife.
The one I have just completed today has been a bit of an experiment.
I think she looks quite cute and I hope they like her :)
Tuesday, 6 December 2011
I totally forgot to blog about the fact that I won another Giveaway run by The Green Bag Lady. The Green Bag Lady is actually a lady called Teresa VanHatten-Granath who lives in the USA and she and her volunteers made cloth bags from recycled materials and give them away! The idea being to encourage people to use cloth bags rather than plastic ones.
She wanted a photo of me using the bag ...... and here I am! She posted the photo on her blog and I would encourage everyone to have a look round her site; she's doing tremendous things :)
The bag is very good as it fits inside my normal handbag without taking up too much space, so I've always got a bag should I need one. I might add, I don't need any encouragement NOT to use plastic bags ...... haven't used them for a long time now :)
Monday, 5 December 2011
Last year, for the first time, I cross-stitched Christmas cards for close family members and I was really pleased with the results. However, at the time, I thought it would be rather a shame if people threw the cards away (heaven forbid!) and could see how they could be turned into Christmas tree decorations quite easily.
I wondered whether this year I could directly create Christmas tree decorations so they could serve as a 'Christmas card' but then be kept.
Earlier in the year, I joined the site called Creating the Hive after a recommendation from another blogger. This is a brilliant source of creative inspiration! Through this, I found a post on a blog which gives free PDF patterns for felt Christmas tree decorations. In their examples, however, on the back of the ornaments they use fabric sheets that can be printed on to produce 'labels'. I haven't got any of this fabric paper, so I decided to stitch a Christmas greeting on some cotton material I had using simple back-stitch with one single strand of embroidery cotton.
The red and green flower pattern ornament was the first one I did.
I'm currently working on a pink one using ribbons as well as beads. I think it will be going to my nephew who lives in a very 'girlie' environment of his partner and two daughters!
I have several other ideas for different members of my family. For my sister-in-law and her husband who are both keen anglers, I think I will do a fish shape. For John and James, I have an idea to try and do two ornaments in the shape of a cat's head and try to make one have Flossie's colouring and the other be like Minstrel. This might be easier said than done ...... so watch this space!
Friday, 2 December 2011
post or two, I described how I was also embroidering a portrait of him ...... and he loves it :)
And a unicorn was what he got! (Although the observant will also notice that said unicorn is 'guarding' a very generous cheque). James' Granny (my Mum) always manages to raise a smile with her presents :)
Happy Birthday James and lots of love and a long and happy life to you. Your Mum and Dad are very proud of you xxxxxx.
Wednesday, 16 November 2011
I actually finished this on the 6th November but I have been so busy with other things that I just haven't got round to blogging about it!
How did I go about it? Well .... here are the things I used:
A friend who works in a wood yard got me an off-cut of wood to use as a base for the picture and kindly rounded the edges for me. I recently bought some wadding to wrap round the wood, so as to stop the silk from wearing on the edges of the wood. The map pins were to pin first the wadding and then the silk to the wood to help keep things taut when doing the lacing on the back.
And of course ..........
And voila! All done :)
The finish isn't quite how I was expecting, in that it bears some similarity to a padded chair seat. However, when on the wall, it looks more modern than the usual type of embroidered picture ..... and that, after all, was what I was really after.
Just hope James likes it :)