Thursday 25 November 2010

Blooming Felt

Thanks to the Sew, Mama Sew blog I was alerted to a really lovely looking Christmas Ogee ornament made from felt on Betz White's blog.
For reasons I can't quite fathom, I really want to make things for Christmas this year .... no idea why! However, this lovely ornament and Betz's very good tutorial really hit the spot!

So ..... I started to try and track down a thick wool felt supplier in the UK that wasn't too expensive. After a little digging around, I found a company called Blooming Felt. I really like their website. It is so bright and colourful. Not only did I order some felt but I also bought some DMC soft cotton thread. This looks suspiciously like the thread I used when I was a little girl on my Needle case, so I'm having a bit of a nostalgia trip with that one! However, I'm thinking of using it to do some embroidery on the Ogee ornament to jazz it up a little.

I also ordered some self covering buttons as this is another thing I've always wanted to try ..... and I will probably use one on the felt pouch I'm making for James.

I am so impressed with Blooming Felt. I placed the order late last Friday and it was delivered on Tuesday! Really fast service. The felt is also very nice and I can't wait to try it out :)

In my general search for felt, I also found some websites explaining how felt is made. Although I was aware of the process, I was especially interested to find websites explaining how to turn an old woollen sweater into felt ...... as a deliberate thing, rather than the accident we all may have made when washing a woollen object at the wrong temperature :)

I really want to have a go! Trouble is though, I have no jumpers that have 80% or more wool content. I'm afraid I am one of those people that can't wear wool .... it makes me itch :)

I must be the only person on the hunt for an old sweater :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...